- Colin Pinkney
- Current status:
- Looking for permanent application developer/software engineer role preferably in SW Florida
- Previously worked as a Lead Application Developer at Arqiva (Formerly National Grid Wireless)
- Spent the last 4+ years working remotely in the US as a contract developer at Arqiva
- US Permanent Resident Card holder, able to work in US
For the final year of my degree I carried out a distributed Java XML project for which I obtained a 1st (A). This and my early work experience of process improvement has guided me into roles where I can apply web technologies that have a clear benefit to internal business IT systems and I aim to continue to enhance my capabilities in these roles. Ultimately, I want to learn new skills, face new challenges and earn responsibility and respect within a business.
Summary of education
(A full list of qualifications is further down)
|University of Warwick
Coventry, West Midlands, England
|BSc with Honours (Computer Science - 2.1)||1997||2001|
|Ashton Sixth Form College
Ashton-u-Lyne, Lancashire, England
|5 A-levels (4 A's, 1 C)||1995||1997|
|Longdendale Secondary School
Hollingworth, Cheshire, England
|10 GCSEs (3 A*'s, 4 A's, 3 B's)||1990||1995|
Most Recent Position - Lead Application Developer – Arqiva (2000+ Employees) – Jul 2005 to Mar 2013
My most recent role was a Lead Applications Developer in the IT division at Arqiva (formerly NGW), which performs asset and risk management for thousands of cell towers and radio and TV broadcast sites. For the past 4+ years I have worked remotely from the US as a contract developer performing essentially the same role as the previous 3+ years when I was a permanent employee at Arqiva. This role has included:
Working with a small team that develops and supports all of the company's in-house, business critical applications, which are mainly written in classic ASP, VB 6 and ASP.Net/VB.Net 2.0 and use Oracle for the database backend.
Liaising with business analysts to develop requirements, coordinating the rest of development both in a 'waterfall' process and more recently using Agile Scrum methodology, architecting systems, and writing technical documentation including UML.
Designed and developed an ASP.Net framework that allows us to quickly and reliably create enterprise websites with a consistent look and feel, publish from Dev to QA to Production environments and manage user security using a series of utility web applications. These extra utility web applications were developed by a team of contractors whose work I supervised.
Using the framework above we have implemented several non-trivial, high profile business applications on time and to specification under my technical direction and involvement. In some cases we have estimated that the framework reduced our development effort by more than 50%.
One web application in particular that was implemented in 1 month with this framework by myself and 2 other contractors under my technical supervision now supports cost recovery of nearly £3 million every year. This application has to be supported 24/7 365 days a year and I was recently involved in a successful program to enhance the resiliency of this service, which was aided by the fact that the framework was designed to work with load balanced servers from the start.
Promoted to Lead Developer role in recognition of undertaking more senior tasks such as writing software development policies, deputizing for the team leader, interviewing permanent and contract candidates for new roles on the team, training other developers, and directing and reviewing code.
Previous Position - Software Engineer - Marconi (20,000+ employees) - Sep 2001 to Jul 2005
A Software Engineer within the Marconi New Product Introduction group, which dealt with global manufacturing processes. Work included:
- Development of MS VB programs and ASP scripts that interface with MS SQL Server for product testing, automated manufacture, data manipulation and reporting applications.
- Development of product test drivers and example test programs in MS Visual C++
- Full development lifecycle process for most projects with reviewed documentation (includes analysis, design & implementation, testing, trials, user documentation, and sign off)
- General factory PC, network and database administration tasks.
- Last project was to design and implement a global traceability solution, using SAP R3, for warranty and recall purposes, to save Marconi over £1 million per year.
Work Experience Summary
|Company||Job Title||Start Date||End Date|
|Arqiva (Formerly National Grid Wireless)
|Lead Application Developer||July 2005||March 2013|
|Marconi Communications Ltd.
|Software Engineer||September 2001||July 2005|
|Marconi Communications Ltd.
|Degree Sponsored Student Trainee during a year out
(Trainee tools development engineer)
|August 1999||September 2000|
|N/A||Freelance Programmer during college||July 1997||September 1997|
- Microsoft ASP.Net/VB.Net - 7 years+ - Business critical enterprise website/application development using Oracle databases.
- Microsoft Visual Basic - 11 years+ - SQL Server/Oracle interfacing, product flash programming and label printing
- SQL - 11 years+ - MS SQL Server (4 years) and Oracle (7 years+)
- ASP - 9 years - SQL Server & Oracle interfacing
- Microsoft Visual C++ - 3 years - Working on product drivers and SQL Server interfacing
- UNIX Shell Scripting - 3 years+ - General scripting (mainly in Bash)
- Java - 2 years - Mainly distributed XML system development
- ANSI C/C++ (Using QT libraries) - 1 year - Embedded Linux development
- Borland Delphi - 1 year - Writing MS Windows utilities
- AWK, Standard Pascal, Synchronised Resources, Moscow ML, Prolog, BASIC, 68008 Assembler -
Other Computer Skills/Knowledge
- HTML (+CSS), SGML, & XML - 12 years - Commercial documentation, web design, & web services
- Sourcesafe - 11 years - Administration & development
- Microsoft Windows & Linux - 8 years - PC & network administration
- Oracle - 7 years+ - Database development, including Packages/Stored Procedures, triggers, schema creation, etc.
- Subversion (Sourcecode control) - 6 years - Administration & development
- ActiveX/COM - 5 years - Various applications
- Microsoft SQL Server - 4 years - Database development & some administrationdures, triggers, schema creation, etc.
- Clearcase (Sourcecode control) - - Administration
Courses attended while in employment
|M2544 - Advanced Web Application Development with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005||QA-IQ/Microsoft||March 2008|
|M2524 - Developing XML Web Services Using Microsoft ASP.Net||QA-IQ/Microsoft||March 2008|
|Increasing Assertiveness & Influencing Others||Marconi Communications Ltd.||May 2002|
|'Management For Success' Awareness||Marconi Communications Ltd.||October 1999|
|XML Europe 2000||Palais de Congres, Paris||12th-16th June 2000|
Personal Interests & Activities
My Christian faith is very important to me, so I am often involved with activities at my church and have previously been responsible for their websites and e-mail and have operated some of the church's audio/visual equipment and helped run the youth group. My wife and I enjoy cycling, Scuba Diving, playing softball and exercising our dog. I also have written my own programs, design websites, and was heavily involved with getting various Bluetooth Compact Flash cards working with the Sharp Zaurus line of Linux PDAs.
Very quick to learn - Can work in a team or on own - Good communication
Can work with tight deadlines - Can work equally well with rapid turnover of projects or long-term projects.
Other Academic Achievements
At college in my final year I was entered into the Senior Mathematical Challenge along with all the other Further Mathematics students. Out of all those students at my college I was the only one to obtain the highest award, the gold certificate. Only the top 5% in the country are awarded the gold certificate.
Higher Education Qualifications
|Computer Science||BSc with Honors||2.1 (Equiv. to a B)|
Further Education Qualifications
Secondary Education Qualifications
|Dual Science||Double GCSE||A*/A*|
|Design & Technology||GCSE||A|